Butter milk is known as “Takra” in ayurveda. Takra is light (laghu) to digest, It balances kapha(water) and vata(Air) dosha. It is prepared by mixing 1 part of fresh yogurt and 4 part of water. It should not be too thick or too thin.
In Ancient text book (Bhavaprakasha) it is mentioned that “The person who uses takra daily does not suffer from diseases, and diseases cured by takra do not recur; just as amrita (divine nector) is for the gods, takra is to humans.”
Properties of Takra (Buttermilk)
Rasa (Taste): Astringent, sour, and sweet
Virya (Potency or energy): Hot
Vipaka (Post digestive effect): Sweet
Guna (Quality): Binding, light, dry
Prabhav (Actions): digestive, promotes immunity, pacifies vata (air).
Combination according to doshas
- When Aggravation of vata (air), sour variety of Takra should be taken by adding Rock salt
- In Pitta (fire) – Sweet Variety of Takra with sugar
- In Kapha (Water) – unctuous (fatty/ greasy) variety of Takra with sunthi (dry ginger powder), pippali (long pepper), Maricha (Black pepper).
Takra pacifies all the three doshas. It cures Vata (air) because of its sour taste, Pitta(fire) because of its sweet taste kapha(water) because of its astringent taste
- Buttermilk prepared of the sweet variety of dahi(curd or Yogurt) aggravates kapha(water) and pacifies Vata(air) and pitta(fire)
- Butter milk prepared of the sour variety of dahi(curd/yogurt) its pacifies vata(air)
- Butter milk prepared of the Extremely Sour Variety of dahi(curd/yogurt) it Aggravates pitta(fire) and blood
- Takra is good when there is low digestive fire (agni).
- In disease caused by kapha (water) and Vata (air)
- Aruchi (Anorexia), Vomiting
- Srotorodha (obstruction to the channels of circulation)
- Arsa (piles), Bhangander (fistula in ano)
- Atisara (diarrhoea), Oedema
- Urticaria (skin rashes)
- Skin diseases (Trakradhara – external therapy by pouring medicated buttermilk all over the body )
- Takra should not be used during hot season (If having in hot or summer season use only sweet variety of curd or yogurt to prepare buttermilk).
- Weak, fainting or giddiness, conditions better to avoid butter milk.
Like this page for 10% discount on Takradhara (Medicated butter milk Therapy).
For any health issues Contact our Drs at
Om Vedic Heritage Centre@43, Tessensohn Road, Tel-62972670
AyurVeda Pharmacy @8, Belilios Lane, Tel-63415020
AyurVeda Pharmacy @ 55, Siglap Centre, B1-18, Tel-66528464